CAMP QUEST WEST
Title: CAMP DIRECTOR
Reports to: BOARD OF DIRECTORS
To further the mission of Camp Quest West through the management of the camp schedule, programming, staff, campers, and best practices. The Camp Director is like the ringleader of a circus – they may work behind the scenes, but they ensure that the show goes on. They guide the camp management team for smooth resolution of any issues that come up during camp.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Remain current with information on the developmental needs of youth by obtaining an American Camp Association (ACA) Camp Directors certificate and/or completing ongoing education credits with the ACA, and forward copies of all certificates/proof of education to Development Head.
- Review management policies and procedures, staff manual, and training materials and recommend improvements and/or changes to the HR Manager before camp
- Indicate which staff performed well and should be asked back based on performance reviews, and which staff should not be asked to return and report to Development Head.
- Arrange for field trip buses.
- Contact the Health Officer Supervisor to ensure he/she has reviewed health policies and procedures, and that they are in accordance with legal statutes.
- Review and approve the schedule, and program plan prior to the camp session(s).
- Work with the Program Director to identify and address any special equipment needs for program.
- Advise Program Director on logistical requirements for program (such as the best locations at camp for each type of program, and the amount of transition time needed to get from one activity to the next)
On site Duties
- Oversee delivery of program and activities to verify that they are appropriate to the camper population.
- Conduct annual assessment of property and maintenance needs.
- Oversee the management of the food service area through interaction with the Food Service Manager/hired food service company. Ensure all dietary accommodations the camp has promised will be available are in fact available.
- Manage sufficient coverage in the infirmary, and the implementation of the health care plan.
- Supervise the business management functions of the camp including but not limited to: making sure lifeguards and camp contracts are paid (if applicable) by arranging payment with Board of Directors in advance, supervising quartermaster operations, and documenting incidents.
- Directly supervise Cabin Director(s), Program Director, Health Officer, Quartermaster, and other staff as the situation requires.
- Run a daily directors meeting with the Cabin Director(s) and Program Director.
- Indirectly supervise cabin staff, program staff, and LT staff through the appropriate director.
- Handle all escalated camper, staff, site, and/or parent issues.
- Complete performance reviews for Cabin Director(s), Program Director, Quartermaster, and Health Officer.
- Assist Program Director, and Cabin Director(s) in completing subordinate staff performance reviews as necessary.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external groups to ensure the enhancement of the camp operation.
- Approve or directly make decisions vital to camp’s successful operation (discipline, site, emergency, etc.).
- Work with the directors to make sure camp is running on schedule, and that issues have been appropriately handled.
- Conduct or delegate off-site supply runs during the week of camp, as needed.
- Approximately one-third of our campers are either African-American, American Indian, Asian, Pacific Islander, or Latino/Hispanic. We are very proud of our ethnic diversity. You should be prepared to work with campers from across the racial and socio-economic spectrum.